Re: man v. info (was Re: mandb gets stuck!)

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> The problem is that this is often specifically what is *not* sought by
> those who are looking for manpages.  What's wanted is a short, concise,
> but illustrative reference providing:
>
>   - A functional description of the command.
>
>   - A synopsis of all options and/or switches for the command.
>
>   - EXAMPLES!!!  Examples of (typical) usage are essential.
>
>   - Additional sections:  FILES, SEE ALSO, BUGS, and AUTHOR, typically.
>
> There is a utility to convert the man page equivalent portion of a
> typical info page to something resembling manpage format.
>
> Personally, I'd strongly recommend that the GNU project revisit the
> issue of info pages altogether.  They're not popular, they don't
> adequately replace man pages, and there is a far more successful and
> ubiquitous hypertext model (HTML) in use now.  Moreover, the standard
> info navigation keybindings (and even the simplified bindings offered by
> tools such as pinfo) are neither ubiquitous, corrospondent to other SW
> tools (emacs excepted), nor self evident.

I also agree.  I think what bothers me most about info pages is that
they often read like books.  They're usually arranged in a format
resembling chapters covering each topic in thorough detail.  This is
fine if I want to read a book about Emacs, for example, but sucks if I
just want a quick reference for a command line switch or something.

It seems to me that GNU has nothing to lose and plenty to gain by
maintaining man pages.  Of course man pages can't replace a true
documentation system like info, but a good man page is extremely
useful.

Nice post Karsten.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>