Kernel 2.4.7 Problems in Woody

I have been a long time Debian user, and I have
compiled many custom kernels for my system in the
past.  I previously ran Woody and had installed a
custom 2.4.2 kernel and a 2.4.4 kernel.  Recently I
bought a new hard drive and had to reinstall Woody
fresh.

After installing Woody from the iso-image, I had a
working 2.2.19 kernel, with several net modules,
including the tulip driver for my NIC.  I downloaded
and configured the 2.4.7 kernel source, using nearly
identical answers from my previous 2.4.4 kernel,
adjusting for new features.

Upon rebooting, I found that my new kernel functioned
almost perfectly, except that the network card will
not initialize.  It works fine if I reboot with
2.2.19, and I never had problems before with earlier
kernel versions.  The dhcp-client cannot assign an ip
to the card, because it seems that remote networking
is not functional.  Since the older 2.4.x kernel
sources are no longer available, I need to figure out
how to get this version working properly.

Can anyone help me debug this?  I would be happy to
post any information that would be useful here abotu
my configuration, if needed.

Thanks,
Scott Von Duhn