Re: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo problem

it sounds like everything is working for you if you just use the
hardware workarounds you've found.  I've had ethernet cards that just
would not work with cable modems before too, you solved that prob.
About the computers not seeing each other unless booted in a specific
order, I've sometimes had ethernet cards that needed to see traffic
before they would sync with the specifics of whatever subset of ethernet
was being used.  It seems linux is waiting while Win98 blindly forges
ahead.  I'm not sure how to make the ethernet on linux default to a
transport type.  Your collisions are to be expected since you don't have
a switch keeping the lines free for data for each card, they probably
try and send at the same time and just collide because as you say there
is just one cable between them.  I get collisions even on my hub.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could help with the software issues.

--mike