Help: pppd broken in Testing

Hi,
I upgraded to Testing a couple of months ago and it was running
fine on my LAN at home and with dial-on-demand while away.

I was at home for 3 weeks and there were some quite large
upgrades.

Now  I'm away I cannot connect. The modem connects ok but then
pppd terminates:-

Serial connection established
transfer_ppp failed: wanted unit 0, got 1
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Exit

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

I have not changed anything in the scripts and can connect to the
roaming POP with minicom but as I'm a roving user I have yet to
work out how to complete the authentication in ppp from there to
my ISP.

TIA,
     Tim Wood