Re: Install X and Lilo

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 04:25:29PM -0700, Thomas Merritt Draney wrote:
> I did very well I must say for a new user to linux.  I got debian installed
> to the point i am sitting there with a command prompt.

	Congratulations ;)

> But i am now lost.  Where is Gnome or how do I start up into it?
> 		      When I run startx it says something is broken?
> 		      I need to dual boot Windows 95 sadly with Lilo and it says
> permission denied when i try to 		      access lilo.conf.

	Have no fear, we all got stuck for a while at this point.

	1. Gnome should be installed in order to start it up. You should fire-up dselect to verify if Gnome is there. Or simply type gdm at the prompt.
	2. Well it's most probably telling you that X should be configured in order to run properly, though not in Human Readable text.
		Run either
			xf86config
			XF86Setup
			xf86cfg (only works with XFree 4.x)
	3. You've probably created a 'normal' useraccount (good start) to run your day to day operations. Log in as root and then try again.

	A couple of nice sites are www.linux.com www.linux.org www.aboutlinux.com www.linuxtoday.com etc... www.osdn.com is also a must