Re: how to extract *.deb files, etc.

Thanks Kent

> > I am new to Linux (especially Debian), please help me out.
> >
> > 1. Does anyone can tell me how to extract *.deb files? And where can I
find
> > Debian's special commands?
> >
> > 2. I have just installed Debian 2.2 r0 (potato), but XF86 did not work
(don't
> > have SVGA driver - returned message at first  time). So, I used VGA16
driver
> > during XF86Setup (second time), the setup program told me successfully
> > installed XF86 but it failed after I press ok to continue.
> >

> If you could set your mailer to wrap to 72 characters it would be much
> appreciated.

How? At the moment, I have MS Outlook Express.

> There is some good documentation at the debian site.  A good starting
> point -
> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/
> For your first question take a look at -
> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.html
>
> Take a look at the apt packages -
> $ man apt.conf
> $ man apt-get

Sure.

> As to your second question what video card are you using?

I have used ASUS's CUSI-M with SiS 630E chipset (all in one mother board)
on board VGA card with SiS 300 integrates a 2xAGP controller
on board LAN card with SiS 7016/7014 (10/100Mb) ethernet controller
on board SOUND card with Cmedia CMI 8738/PCI audio controller

> If you don't know - $ xviddetect will sometimes work in telling you which
> xserver you need to run. You could also pop the cover and look on the
> card to see which card you have. XF86Setup does a nice job telling you
> which xserver you need  but VGA16 is fairly generic so there may be a
> better xserver suited for your card.

Last night I "dpkg" xserver-svga driver, and then run XF86Setup, and
eventually I got my X server running on 1024x768 mode. It seems
ok apart from on board SOUND card does not work and LAN card
have not tested yet.

But this morning I turned on computer, it automatically used xdm to start
X windows system (and with runlevel 2, I read some book - runlevel must
set to 5 for using xdm). Furthermore, mouse did not work anymore
(X windows system was still working).

> Once you're reasonably sure you have the right xserver and X still won't
> start for you, at the command line run -
> $ startx > X.log 2>&1
> This will create a log file named X.log.  Take a look at that file.
> There will be clues to what is going wrong.

Ok, I will try this but how I can stop it from running xdm. Which file
contains
information to control whether start X via standard way "startx" or via xdm.

> If you still have problems post back to the list with a little more detail
> on the steps you have taken and any error messages within X.log.
> hth,

Sure, thanks a lot!!

Kind regards
--