Re: tty5 Displays Gibberish

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:13:58AM -0400, John Bacalle wrote:
> This happens from time to time to me, I hit some errand keystroke and
> the tty I'm on starts to display unintelligible junk. Login out does not
> help. ^L, or ^J do not help. As root, 'kill -9 {aberrant getty pid}'
> does not help. Sh_t, even 'killall getty' does not help; it restarts all
> tty's, but the funky displaying tty5 (in this case) continues displaying
> gibberish.

Yea, "cat /dev/urandom" can do that ;)

> I searched Usenet, to no avail. I searched the Debian archives, to no
> avail, searching is dead slow at the moment.

Hmm, does "reset" work (the command, not the hardware button)?  Usually
works for me when I accidentally cat a compressed file or some such. You
may not see the characters echoed correctly when you type it, but it
usually will do the job.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>