passing "mem=???" to the kernel

When is it necessary to pass the "mem" parameter to the kernel?  I was
under the impression that it should no longer be necessary; that newer
kernels would always find whatever memory was available.  However, I
recently doubled the RAM on one of my systems (from 128 to 256 MB) but
the new RAM is not found.  I've never really seen a good explanation of
why the kernel is not always able to find all the RAM, or under what
circumstances it happens.  I have several other machines contain from
256 to 1024 MB RAM, and they see all the RAM just fine.

noah