Re: apt question revisitted

Am 03. Jul, 2001 schwäzte D-Man so:

> I used 'dist-upgrade', not 'install apt', a couple weeks ago.  I got
> the same sort of errors.  I tried the '-f' (force) option (as suggested

Actually, -f is --fix-broken.

> by some program) and it worked.  I then killed it so I could go back to
> regular uprade mode (after libc and libstdc++ were upgraded) and had no
> real trouble, except that I occasionally got a Sub-process died error.  As
> suggested, run 'dpkg --reconfigure -a', then kill it because (of course)

That should be "dpkg --configure -a".

These two commands seem to fix most of the installation issues I run into
when dist-upgrading.

> the configure will fail with only some packages installed.  Restart the
> dist-upgrade to continue where it left off before.  Note that I may have
> been lucky in all of this to not have any disatrous side-effects, and I
> probably got some error messages along the way that I solved, and now
> don't remember.o

Not luck, rather a very good system. Hopefully soon even the two minor fixes
you brought up above will be things of the past :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
# ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",