HOW TO: Use of /etc/environment to manage SMP application compiles

I want to know how to use environment variables to manage the software
compiles for a dual processor system.
I have these as what I think might work as setting. I need tips, advice
on proceeding.

# environment settings
LANG=C
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2
DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=pentium
# EOF

Has anyone done this? Any experiences are appreciated as I NEED to
develop some process for automating the compiles of all of the system
software to compile with SMP enabled and with the maximum speed
available. Currently the test system is using dual pentium 266(586) mmx
processors. I will soon do a new install on  a very fast dual PIV system
and want to have the greatest efficiency when I do this upgrade.
Thanks!
John