apt-get remove <package>

When I remove a package, apt often leaves various shared and configuration
files laying around. Is there a way to remove everything
automatically? Its just seems like a waste of time to go and clean out
/etc and whatever else apt leaves laying around after I remove
something. Often I end up with a bunch of directories that I have to go
around and remove by hand. I think this takes a lot away from the
automation that apt offers. I know its a minor thing, but to me its almost
the same as uninstalling a windows program and still having a bunch of
files and .dlls laying around. It says:

dpkg - warning: while removing epic, directory `/etc/epic' not empty so
not removed.

Of course the directory isn't empty...apt installed files there
automatically. ;)

I'm sorry...its been a super crazy night (and I mean ULTRA) and this has
been bothering me for a while. Is there a specific benefit to not deleting
this stuff after I have decided that I no longer want something installed
on my box?

Just ranting (sorta)....

-z-