Re: internet w/ dhcpcd

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:53:07PM -0500, Robert Matijasec wrote:
> kernal is 2.2
>
> I used to be able to ping lo and it worked fine, now I
> get:
>
> ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> ping:wrote erdos 64 chars, ret=-1
> etc, etc ...

Did you do anything involving firewalling rules?  Perhaps you
installed a package, like ipmasq, that installs such rules for you?

> At the end of dmesg there is
>
> eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseTport, address 00a024 74 4b f8, IRQ 10.
> 3c509.c:1.16 (2.2) 2/3/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov.
> ...<some other stuff> ...
> Packet log:input DENY eth0 PROTO=17 10.1.160.1:67 24.217.172.166:68 L=336
> S=x00 I=25954 F=0x0000 T=255 (#3)
> eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
>
> these last three lines are repeated about 50 times with different values for
> I, PROTO, and L. With I going to 0 PROTO cycling btw 1 and 17. and L cycling
> btw 53 and 84.

Check your firewall rules lists:

  /sbin/ipchains -n -L

If something (or you) has set up firewall rules before the dhcp-controlled
interface is configured, or reconfigured dynamically, then likely the
old rules may no longer match the new interface properties.  This could be
the cause of the "Packet log: input DENY .." entries in your logs.

> Hope this is sufficient to hammer something out.
> Perhaps what might help me most is something like
> linuxconf. Does such a package exist for Debian?

There is webmin, it appeared in unstable a little time ago.  I don't
know how usable the debs are or how usable webmin in general is.

But these gui's will not help you find the source of problems any better
at all, quite the contrary in fact.  By hiding the details, it makes it
much harder to know what is going on and to make a decent analysis.

Cheers,

Joost