where to do iptables setup?

Hello,

I recently upgraded one machine to the 2.4.5 kernel from the 2.2
series. As it's running now, I have an iptables script which sets up
my NAT and filtering rules. I was rather proud of myself having gotten
my script to work fine on the first try, but I'm not sure what's the
clean Debian Way to do things.

Now, I have cooked my own /etc/init.d/iptables which simply executes
the script that I have placed in /etc/iptables. Another way I
considered would be to mimc the /etc/init.d/ipchains script that comes
in the ipchains package, with something like
s/ipchains-\(save|restore\)/iptables-\1/ .  I wasn't sure on the
state of those functions, so I didn't do so yet, but by now I
started thinking there should be a clean Debian Way to do it. How do
others load their firewall rulesets?

If there's an obvious answer (an "automatic" way I just missed) that
would be great, otherwise I'd like to hear about your own personal
setups.

Thanks,
Vineet