Re: single-user mode? strange

The problem is caused by some problems in the libpam* packages.

To boot into single user mode, if you're using lilo, just append "s" to
the end of your image name when you boot, like:

LILO: linux s

It will then boot and ask you for root password, which will work. Then
download the libpam* packages from http://incoming.debian.org/ and
install them with dpkg. Reboot and all should be well.

On 26 Jun 2001 13:47:01 -0400, Daniel Patrick Berdine wrote:
> I recently ran dselect and did an upgrade with unstable which had the
> result that I can't log in at all (typing 'root' at the login promt
> returns Login Incorrect, I don't even get to try the password, similar
> results with the kdm login screen).
>
> My first thought was to boot into single user mode and try and work things
> out from there, not sure how but it was a place to start.  I searched the
> archives and found several messages saying that to boot into single user
> mode I need to add the 'single' option at my lilo boot: prompt.
>
> So I tried 'Linux single' 'Linux Single' 'LinuxText single'
> 'LinuxText2.4.3 single' and was inevitablly put into normal multi user
> mode.
>
> My normal kernel is 2.4.5, but you can see I also tried 2.4.3.
>
> Any suggestions?  I'm going to try using a boot floppy and such, but I
> would still like to know how to get into single-user mode...
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dan
>
> P.S.  Please CC responses to my email, thanks
>

> --
 e-mail: aquila at hypox dot org
 website: http://aquila.hypox.org
 geek code: