Re: OT: C++ Newbie and KDE/QT

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:06:50PM +0200, Brendon wrote:
| This summer holiday I took on the task of learning C++ with (shamefully :)
| the help of C++ For Dummies.
|
| Having tried to learn C++ in the past I'm now reasonably familar with it's
| synax so i thought i'd also try learning QT/KDE programming at the same time.
| But the tutorials I've been through on the doc.trolltech.com site have left
| me a little disappointed.
|
| Does anyone know of a good site where QT/KDE programming is explained? And
| what did you start with when learning C++?

I don't use KDE and I don't like Qt's LnF so I don't know about that
part.  As for learning C++ -- it is big and complicated and the little
details will get you.  I would recommend starting out with an easier
language to get the basics of programming down first.  Then move into
C++ once you understand how to program.  I highly recommend Python as
an easy, powerful, and clean language to learn.  It also allows you to
choose the most appropriate paradigm -- you can start out procedurally
(simpler) and move into OO (class-based) when you are ready for it.
Alan Gauld has an excellent tutorial for beginners at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld.  Python also has bindings to Qt
(PyQt) so you can do Qt/KDE programming using Python and forget about
the headaches that C++ can give you.  If you decide to try python,
check out the tutor mailing list, it is very helpful
(tutor@python.org, http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor).

You may also want to try Java.  It is basically C++ with pointers,
manual memory management, and freestanding functions removed.  Also
the class definition conicides with the declaration (not in 2 separate
files).  Its syntax is nearly identical, yet it simplifies quite a few
things.  IMO Python is much better designed, much easier to use, and
more powerful (and flexible) than Java.

-D