Re: gnome quicklaunch

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:04:43PM -0400, Jacob Stowell wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I am having a problem and was wondering if someone might be able to help
| me out. I have a quicklaunch applet on my gnome panel. Interestingly,
| when i start xterm or axyftp from the quicklaunch, /root shows up as the
| default home directory:
|
| satchel[/root]%

No, that is not "the default home directory".  If it was you would see
"~", not "/root" as the path.  It is the "default /current working/
directory".

| I tried removing ~/.gnome/quicklaunch completely and creating a new one,
| but ran into the same problem.  I also removed it from the panel, shut
| down and placed a fresh quicklauncher with the same result. I thought
| that it may be a permissions problem and I did a recursive chmod 770
| ~/.gnome to give user access to the necessary directories.  Again, this
| approach failed.
|
| What is strange is that when I start quicklaunch_applet from a console
| as user, it places the launcher on the panel, and when i open xterm or
| axyftp the default is my home directory:
|
| satchel[~]%
|
| I am not sure why this is happening,

Probably a session thing.  For some reason it was probably started or
has a default config file somewhere with /root as the current
directory.  The next time it is run it uses the same.  Maybe it has
the default of using root's home directory?  Maybe it is run by root
(during startup of system) and thinks it should use $HOME (/root) as
the default dir, but when you run it later as joeuser it uses $HOME
(/home/joeuser) as the current directory.  I don't know why it would
do that, just some speculation on the matter.

You can probably find a config file (maybe ~/.gnome/quicklanuch) where
the current working directory is installed and you can set it to what
you want.  It may even allow configuring by right clicking on the
applet and select "Properties" in the menu.  I'm really not sure
because I don't use that applet (in fact, at the moment I hardly have
any applets because gnome-applets isn't in woody).

-D