Re: Can't login, won't ask for password

Tristan Chamberlain <looner3@qwest.net> writes:
TC> When trying to login on linux, I type my username in and then
TC> immediately, without prompting for a password, tells me "Login
TC> Incorrect".
TC>
TC> I am using sid, and everything was working fine this morning until I did
TC> apt-get upgrade then rebooted and I suddenly can't login with root or
TC> any other username. How do I fix this?

First off, subscribe yourself to debian-devel-announce, and possibly
to debian-devel.  This problem has already been mentioned in both of
these places; you should definitely be following debian-devel-announce
if you're running unstable to keep up on major changes/problems/issues
that happen there.

That having been said, umm, there's a problem.  You need to get some
version of libpam-modules that's not 0.72-26; either 0.72-25 (from
testing) or 0.72-27 (from incoming) should work.  You need some way of
becoming root (which could be problematic if you're not logged in as
root already; if nothing else, booting with 'init=/bin/sh' will
work).  Install the unborken packages, and hopefully things will be
better.

(And if you're uncomfortable with this sort of breakage, which does
happen sometimes out on the bleeding edge, also consider the Debian
'testing' distribution, which is best described as "a couple of weeks
behind unstable".  Admittedly, testing has its own problems, but they
seem to generally be much more along the lines of "half the
distribution vanished from the Debian archives, wait a couple of days"
and much less along the lines of "Perl 5.6 ate my cat".)

	-- Abra Mitchell