Re: Video shutdown instead of xscreensaver

on Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 10:42:56AM -0300, Pedro Zorzenon Neto (pzn@terra.com.br) wrote:
> Please CC reply copies as I'm not a subscriber of this list.
>
> Hi,
>
> When I don't move the mouse or type for some minutes, xscreensaver runs.
>
> How can I change this? I'd like that my monitor turns off or enter in
> sleep mode instead of xscreensaver. Is there some How-To where I can
> find some hints?

If you're running xscreensaver anyway, run "xscreensaver-command
-prefs", and you can configure screen blank, standby, and other
settings.  If not, you can use xset (man xset) to set blanking
preferences.  Note that xscreensaver and xset are no longer mutually
compatible on the same display.

For blanking a console screen, use tset.

I recommend using xscreensaver as this will also password-protect your X
session while it's blanked.  I use this on both my desktop and laptop
systems.

You can also modify your WindowMaker menus to provide a hotkey for
locking a screen on request.  I've chosen <ctrl><alt>-/ to do this, for
no particular reason other than it's easy to reach and unlikely to be
hit by accident.  I've overridden the default Debian WM root menu to do
this, though I provide a hook to same for apps I might not otherwise
link to menu buttons.

Respondants to list questions should take care not to reply in
a desktop-specific mode unless it's been made clear what the environment
of the user in question is.  In this case, followup indicates Pedro is
running Windowmaker.

Cheers.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!