Re: cdcd sound level

will trillich wrote:

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:56:11PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

cdcd will play a cd but the volume is so low it can scsrcely be heard although getvol reports 255 for both channels. The other operating system plays the cd at normal volume.

Also cdcd will only play for root. The other user has been added to group audio and /dev/audio has rwxrwxrwx permissions but any attempt to play cd's results in no disc in drive or permission denied.

hmm. i'm in groups "audio" and "cdrom" as well; on my debian
machine "cdcd setvol ..." works like a charm. you don't have
some sort of "mute" feature turned on elsewhere (hardware or
software) perhaps?

--

by the way:

LESSON FOR THE DAY--

I am not currently a subscriber but will use geocrawler to check the archives for possible solutions. Thanks for any help you can give.

i think this is one of the most CONSIDERATE requests i've ever
seen. rather than ask for extra work on our part (please cc: me)
he gladly offers to go to a bit of extra effort himself (browse
geocrawler, which doesn't thread messages). kudos, thomas!

i can just about guarantee that everyone who wants to help will
include a cc: directly to you as a result.

After I posted my messages I stumbled on the solutions. First I downloaded and started workbone which promtly told me to run chmod 666 /dev/audio. Although I thought the permissions already set to 777 I did so and suddenly everything worked, but still at almost inaudible sound levels. Then in ximian gnome I fourd settings/multimedia/sound let me reset the volume for my es1371 sound card. This solved the sound level problem even for workbone and cdcd run from the console.

Thank you, Will, for the kudos. I love debian linux and the debian-users-list, but the volume overwhelms me when I must be away from my computer for several days. When I found geocrawler gave me access to the extensive archives it seemed better to unsubscribe when I can't check the list daily.