Re: boot floppy

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:22:48AM -0300, xgnu wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> This is my first messsage to the list.
> I have installed debian potato 2.2 and I have a few questions.
>
> 1: I choose boot from a floppy disk, but the boot process is
> very slow (until pass control to hd). Is there any way to
> speed up the boot process?

You will want to install a boot loader like lilo.  Try running -
liloconfig
Take a look at -
man lilo
man lilo.conf
man liloconfig

> 2: The kernel version is 2.2.17. I want to compile 2.4.5, but
> I have a tar.gz file, not the deb pkg and I had not installed
> development tools. Which packages I need to compile the new
> kernel?

For instructions on how to upgrade to 2.4.x kennels -
http://www.debian.org/News/2001/20010415

You can use Adrian's packages at -
http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

> thanks, and of course, sorry for my english! (i'm argentinian).

Your English is fine:)
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted