Re: information request

>     I recently downloaded linux-2.4.4.tar.gz and I can't read most of the files because I am running Windows Millenium Edition.  I was hoping you could
> help me with installing it since I don't know how to.  I read through some documentation and the situations it described required me to already have a
> previous linux version.  Would it be best for me to order it on cd, or would I have the same problem?  Any information provided will be greatly
> appreciated.

What you downloaded is only the kernel.  The kernel is only one small part of a complete Debian installation.  You don't need to download the kernel by itself, since a complete distribution will already have one.

There is an excellent online manual describing, step-by-step, how to install Debian.  Even though it's for version 2.1, it's still quite relevant to 2.2 (the current version):

http://www.newriders.com/debian/html/noframes/debian-tutorial.html

Typically you install from CD.  If you have a CD burner, you can download the CD images and burn your own CDs.  Otherwise, you can buy it on CD from a number of places, usually quite cheap ($9.99 from cheapbytes.com, for example).

And congratulations on choosing Debian GNU/Linux.

-- Kevin