X: "could not open default font 'fixed'"

Hi!

After an install of Ximian gnome for potato with red-carpet (X was not
touched) my woody laptop won't start X with

"Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'"

My other machine with the same config, as far as I can see, in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (except for the driver of course) and
/etc/X11/XftConfig survived the same procedure without problems.

My question would be where is the X default font defined, and where does
it live in the directory tree?

Thanks, M.

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government