Re: Next up....printing

Lorens Kulla <lorens1@mediaone.net> wrote:
>I have spent the last 2 days trying to set up an Epson Stylus Color 800
>on my machine. From root I can cat 'textfile' > /dev/lp0. But that is
>all. I have magicfilter installed with stcolor filter specified. From
>what I've read, only root can access the printer?

What print server are you running? (lpr, lprng, cupsys ...) Most of them
have a way to grant permission to groups of users. If all else fails,
you can always add users you like to the 'lp' group so that they can
write to /dev/lp0, but that may not be the most elegant solution.

>I can not access lists.debian.org for some reason.

lists.debian.org is down due to a server crash, I'm afraid.

Cheers,