Re: hdd time-out??!!

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 08:01:50PM +0200, ricky@beeldbron.nl wrote:
| hai List,
|
| Since a couple off hours I have this output on screen just after the
| system freezes. Is this an software or hardware problem and what should
| I do?
|
| hdd: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
| hdd: drive not ready for command
| ide1: reset: success

It's a hardware problem.  I used to see this sometimes with one of my
disks, and the only thing I could try was a hard reset.  In my
situation it turned out that the power supply was too small to handle
the disks (it was only 110W, in a Compaq nano-tower).  Other people
suggested that the disk might be crashing, so I too recommend that you
backup any data on the disk you really don't want to lose.

HTH,
-D