Re: fvwm2

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:37:29AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Joerg Johannes wrote:
> > 3.1) the menus (general). I have poked around in the reades, and read a
> > lot about "hook files". I did not quite understand how to use them. I
> > understood it in so far, that it is not very smart to have a personal
> > menu in my .fvwm directory, because the system-wide menu file is changed
> > by the menu-generation script. I can add entrys to
> > the sytem-wide menus by adding them to the several hook-files, but I
> > cannot remove entrys, because I had to set up a personal menu and would
> > lose the comfort of a script-updated menu when installing new programs.
> > Now, what can I do to have custom menus?
>
>   I'd suggest to work on the menu side, not fvwm side. you can add your
> menu items in /etc/menu directory (see /usr/lib/menu for examples, see
> menu package docs for more details). That's for system wide menu, not
> sure if this can be customized per user basis. Forthat you might have to
> figure out how hooks work...

Actually, for just some quick access personal menus working with
~/.fvwm/main-menu-pre.hook is much nicer than adding stuff through /etc/menu.
All the things you add will appear above the system menus and don't affect
anything else.  Hook files are really nice in general, all you have to remember
when working with them is that everything defined in ~/.fvwm files will
overwrite the variables set in /etc/X11/fvwm, so all you have to do is read
through the system ones and add a couple of lines to your own to replace things
you don't like.