Re: Unkillable process

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:35:37PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
| Oki DZ wrote:
| > I see; so the memory that once was used, wouldn't be returned back to
| > the OS, right?
|
|   AFAIK the OS takes care of all/most of the resources - file are closed
| (but not saved), memory is released etc... if you see frozen netscape,
| before killing it check the free memory and check the memory after you
| killed -9 netscape, lot of memory is freed (not sure if all)

It has to free all the memory, if the kernel is worth anything.  If it
didn't free all the memory then you would run out after netscape
crashed a few times.  Just imagine what your uptime would be like
then!

Any decent kernel/system will take care to release all resources a
process was using after it is no longer running.  This includes
memory, files, etc.  (This isn't to say that the files, etc, will
necessarily have the values you expect them to have; just that they
will be released (closed for files) and other processes will be able
to gain access)

-D