Re: newbie DHCP & TCP questions

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:28:45PM -0700, Scott Frankel wrote:

> I'm setting up a dual-boot Debian Linux | MacOS PowerBook.  It's connected
> to a LinkSys Cable/DSL Router, supporting DHCP.  After configuring the router,
> the MacOS side works flawlessly.  But there's no joy yet on the linux side.
>
> One thing that'd sure help would be to know how I can translate terms my ISP
> uses into the terms-fields used in /etc/network/interfaces.  i.e.:
>       [...]
>       network     --> ?
>       broadcast   --> router address?
>       gateway     --> name server addresses?

Your IP address bitwise ANDed with the netmask yields the network.

The network address bitwise ORed with the negated netmask yields the
broadcast.

The router's IP is the gateway.

An example:

  IP: 192.168.0.34 (0xc0a80022)
  Mask: 255.255.255.240 (0xfffffff0)

  0xc0a80022 & 0xfffffff0 = 0xc0a80020 (192.168.0.32)

  0xc0a80020 | ~0x0f = 0xc0a8002f (192.168.0.47)

You can do all these calculations with perl :)  I'll elaborate if
people care ...

> Would anyone have example /etc/network/interfaces syntax for configuring the
> automagic of DHCP?  Under MacOS, all the TCP/IP settings are supplied by the
> router.  How is that set up here?  Is there another script or file used to
> configure DHCP?

# interfaces to bring up at boot
auto lo eth0

# We always want the loopback interface.
iface lo inet loopback

# fast ethernet
iface eth0 inet dhcp

> Once I get the DSL connection working under Debian Linux, my next task is
> to find a package, XF86Config(?), so I can get my PowerBook's trackpad to work
> under X.  Then maybe I can boot into one of Linux's graphical UI's ;)

Dunno about this, though I've had great luck with Xfree86 4.x.  I'm
not a Mac guy though so perhaps Ethan can answer this one.

Good luck,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.