Re: Root in X Display

> On Mon, 21 May 2001 16:43:04 Chris Spencer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > How can I change my permissions so that root can run things on the
> X Display
> > of my normal user? For example, if I drop to a command prompt, su
> to root,
> > and try to configure the kernel by typing in "make xconfig" I get
> the error:
> >
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Before you su to root type "xhost +local:" (minus the quotes)
> and you'll be set.

Another option might be issuing

    XAUTHORITY=~user_name_who_log_in_X/.xauthority make xconfig

This topic is discussed in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz (How do I run
an X client as root when the X session is run by a user?).

BTW: If you are running "make xconfig" in order to config a new kerenl you
might give up being root for this matter. This is fully described in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.

--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>

Hillel used to say: If I am not for myself who will be for me?
Yet, if I am for myself only, what am I? And if not now, when?
                                          (Ethics Of The Fathers 1:14)