Re: Installing lilo on second hard disk

mdevin@ozemail.com.au writes:

> Basically I am trying to copy everything over to my second hard disk and
> then set up to make this the boot device.  I know how to change the boot
> device in my bios.
>
> The problem seems to be getting lilo on the second hardisk.  What I
> tried was this:
> Edited the /hd2/etc/lilo.conf and changed the following:
> boot=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1
> root=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part5
> install=/hd2/boot/boot.b
> map=/hd2/boot/map

One thing is missing:
disk=/dev/hdb bios=0x80       # Tell LILO to treat the second
                               # disk as if it were the first
                               # disk (BIOS ID 0x80).
and one other should be different:

root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5

(note the bus0 - because that's where your system wants to get / from
when booted from that (now bus1) drive!

shamelessly taken from the harddisk-upgrade-howto at

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html

--
Tschoe,                    Get my gpg-public-key here
 Jens                     http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt