/proc/bus/usb permissions in Linux 2.4.4 (OT?)

Hi debian-user readers,

I'm not sure that this question is appropriate for debian-user, since it's
about Linux and not anything Debian-specific.  Still, I first sent it
to the linux-usb-users mailing list, but that list is very low-traffic,
and I haven't heard anything back.  So, I thought I'd throw it out to the
wide and helpful audience of debian-user.

I recently purchased a Kodak DC 4800 digital camera, and have been
attempting to get it to work.

I was using Woody with Linux 2.2.18, but I kept getting the "device not
accepting new address (error=-110)" error.  So, I upgraded to 2.4.4, and
now the camera is properly recognized.

However, it seems to me that the devmode and devgid mount options for
usbdevfs, which worked fine with 2.2.18, no longer do anything.  I have
the following line in /etc/fstab:

usb  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  devmode=0664,devgid=107  0  0

and I get no errors when mounting occurs; however, usb device files always
get created with the permissions of 0644 and gid 0.  For example:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        18 May 19 13:20 /proc/bus/usb/001/004

The same thing happens when I mount manually, specifying the devmode and
devgid options with -o.  Is this a bug, or am I doing something
wrong?  Are others having success using usbdevfs with these options in
2.4.4?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

--
David Steinberg