Re: modprobe / modutils problems...

> ii  modutils         2.4.6-3          Linux module utilities.
> :) in woody but i think 2.4.2 should be OK.

ooops... after apt-get update i downloaded version 2.4.6-3 too.

> Check outputs of:
>
> #   depmod -av
> (Have you ever done? On Debian it should be automatic but you may have a
> broken system)

output is a long list with all my modules in the respective
/lib/modules/2.4.4/... directories.

apart from that there are ALSO a lot of other modules that are, it seems,
searched for under /lib/modules/... (no kernel version number) and it always
says "failed" at the end of those lines.

> # modprobe -c

this gives me an even longer list...at first it lists some paths:
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/2.4.4
and then the paths to the various modules, HOWEVER they are all listed as
/lib/modules/_subdirectories_here ... that is to say, without the version
number again, or in other words, not where they actually are located...

after that there follow many aliases and options...

> # insmod -vn one_of_your_modules

again, this only works i use the whole path...so:

# insmod -vn /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
Using: /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
Symbol Version Prefix ''

# insmod -vn apm.o gives me: Can't locate module -- and that is precisely
what modprobe presents me with.

i suppose it is becaue of those wrong paths? but how can i put them right?
any ideas?

thanks a lot!

vester