Re: logging to active console is driving me crazy

On Fri, 18 May 2001 13:51:03 you wrote:
> I have a iptables firewall with 2.4.4 kernel.  I have it log
packets
> that are illegal etc.  How do I stop these logs from being
displayed
> on the active console.  I am running potato with Adrian Bunk's
stuff
> for 2.4 kernel support.
>
> Here is what my /etc/syslog.conf has in it.
> auth,authpriv.*                 /var/log/auth.log
> *.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
> #cron.*                         /var/log/cron.log
> daemon.*                        -/var/log/daemon.log
> kern.*                          -/var/log/kern.log
> lpr.*                           -/var/log/lpr.log
> mail.*                          -/var/log/mail.log
> user.*                          -/var/log/user.log
> uucp.*                          -/var/log/uucp.log
>
> mail.info                       -/var/log/mail.info
> mail.warn                       -/var/log/mail.warn
> mail.err                        /var/log/mail.err
>
> news.crit                       /var/log/news/news.crit
> news.err                        /var/log/news/news.err
> news.notice                     -/var/log/news/news.notice
>
> *.=debug;\
>         auth,authpriv.none;\
>         news.none;mail.none     -/var/log/debug
> *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
>         auth,authpriv.none;\
>         cron,daemon.none;\
>         mail,news.none          -/var/log/messages
>
> Everything else is commented out.  Even commented out the following
> lines:
> # Emergencies are sent to everybody logged in.
> #
> #*.emerg                                *

If you use the below, everything goes to tty8 on my system.
(ctrl-shift-f8)

daemon,mail.*;\
        news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
        *.=debug;*.=info;\
        *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty8

This should work, although I don't have the logging setup
yet for iptables.  I was going to compile that in today.
(missed it before)

Dana