modprobe / modutils problems...

hi all!

i just compiled kernel-2.4.4 and it boots without any problems, but
modprobe is never able to locate my modules. after i compiled the kernel i
also ran 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'

the modules do exist and are working, because i can insert them with
insmod when i am in the same directory as the module, and /sbin/modconf
loads them as well (so the correct paths seem to be compiled into modconf)

what about modprobe though? i checked the version and it it 2.4.2 -- does
that mean i can only load kernel 2.4.2 modules?

i am using debian testing, modutils 2.4.2 is the newest version
(kernel-source-2.4.4 is the newest version respectively)

since modconf loads my modules it's not that bad really, the problem
however is that programs like alsaconf don't seem to work without
modprobe...even though i loaded the sound module with modconf and it does
find my soundcard, i can neither hear sound nor run alsaconf successfully
-- i *think* it is all because of modprobe doesn't locate the modules...

i also tried to add the respective /lib/modules/2.4.4/... directories in
/etc/modutils but to no avail

can anybody suggest to me how to solve this?

thanks!

-vester