Re: Need help in building my own boot disks

on Sat, May 19, 2001 at 09:04:27PM -0400, Brian Schramm (bschramm@schramms.yi.org) wrote:
> I am running potato with kernel 2.2.19 on it.  I want to build a custom
> kernel that will allow me to boot a new machine with the new netgear
> drivers in it.  I have tryed building the drivers on my machine and just
> copying them over but that does not work.  I am willing to build my own
> disks but when I loaded the boot disks package and read the readme file, I
> tryed doing what it said and failed.  a make check gives back a lot of
> errors and a make release dies too.
>
> Please help.  I need to get this machine up this weekend.

I prefer using tanned leather, myself, though I can't decide between
tacks or glue to get the stuff to stick to the soles....

Sorry, I just read your post and realized that, spare a decade or so,
your post would be interpreted as something regarding footwear rather
than computers.  "We call'em roller skates, m'boy".

Build your kernel.  Compile in driver support.  Insert blank floppy.

    dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0

...should do the trick if all you want to do is launch the system and
you've got filesystems, etc., already on it.