Re: Problem with netgear card

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 01:04:13PM +0000, John Griffiths wrote:

> I've always just loaded the tulip module on install with those cards and sat back to enjoy the ride

Err, no, the netgear FA-311 and 312 are not tulip cards.  The 310 is.
The 311 and 312 are based on the national semiconductor (nominal
semidestructor) DB83815 chip.  Completely different, not compatible, not
tulip based.

You actually can build your driver and not recompile the whole kernel.
You need to get the kernel sources that correspond with the kernel-image
you're running.  Get the source from the web page that other have
mentioned and follow the instructions for building it, taking care to
ensure that it gets its kernel includes from the directory containing
the Linux source for the kernel that you're running.  Then copy it to
the right location in /lib/modules/, run depmod -a, then 'modprobe
natsemi'

HTH,
noah