locales not supported by xlib

Helo List

After my upgrade to sid, I had to re-generate my locales
(de_DE-Iso8859-1) and set the LC_* environmet variables. That solved the
"perl: locale unset" problem when using apt-get. Now, when I start any
application under X from an xterm, I get an error message saying
"Warning, locale not supportet by xlib, setting locale to C". Now, I
have looked around, and found a locale.alias file in the X11R6/lib/
directory structure and added an alias to my german locale I created
before. Any idea how to make X support german-speaking environment (like
it did in good old potato times)?

The funny thing is, in gnome and gimp, I get a mixture between english
and german messages and menu entries, e.g.the main menu in gimp speaks
english, but the dialog boxes are shown in german, with missing
Umlaut-characters.

Thank you
joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.