Re: X hangs in mysterious ways

> I've got VESA to work now.  I had to set it to use a bpp of 8, and
> then it came up fine.  My computer has been up for 15 hours now, and I've
> been in X all this time; so I guess things are working alright (Although
> none of my consoles work now.  *sigh*  Something about the refresh rate
> being too low.  (I always thought that text consoles ran at 60Hz.))

I'm glad you at least have a working and stable system.  Now, you can try
playing with the monitor and screen sections of your config file, to try to
get a display that's more to your liking.  I'm using the VESA driver, too,
because the driver for my video card (Trident) flat out doesn't work with my
card.  I'm able to use 16 bpp, which is colorful enough for me, and I can
switch consoles using Ctrl+Alt+F[1-7] just fine.

> Anyway, this leads me to suspect that it's my video card that's
> busted (unlikely) or that the X driver is broken.  Should I try going back
> to X 4.0.2 and see if that works?  (I had a computer a while ago with the
> same type of video card, running X 4.0.2.)

If 4.0.2 works for you, then sure, why not.

Also, I would suggest bringing this problem up on the XFree86 mailing lists.
Go to http://www.XFree86.org

-- Kevin