Re: cups: The requested resource was not found on this server

Erik Steffl wrote:

>   the cups was working just a minute ago and I was able to print using
> lp filename
>
>   I checked the default samba command and tried if it works:
>
>   lpr -r -P%p %s (I used epson740 instead of %p and filename instead of
> %s)
>
>   it didn't print because of printer error (paper jam).
>
>   from then on (not sure if there's any causality there, I also upgraded
> system at the same time) the printers do not work:
>
> jojda:/home/erik# lp rrr
> lp: unable to print file: The requested resource was not found on this
> server.
>
> jojda:/home/erik# lpq
> epson740 is ready
> no entries
>
>   it doesn't even get to queue...
>
>   I haven't found anything suspicious (or even related) in syslog or
> cups logs... any ideas?
>
>   I tried enable/disable printers (no error messages from therese),
> restarting of cups (no error messages)
>
>   nothing helps. any ideas?
>
>   haven't found anything related on the web... but I have found out
> there is a huge number of OLD bugs (more or less serious) files against
> cupsys package. anybody knows the story? is it going to orphaned or
> something? I thought it's on the way to become primary printing system.
> it certainly was easy to set up and it _was_ working nicely. when it was
> working. now the web interface doesn't work anymore (plus there are
> other problems).

  it's even worse. I rebooted, printing still does not work (same eror
message). I can't find anything printing related that changed recently:

jojda:/home/erik# dpkg -L cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client |xargs -l ls
-dl|grep 'May 17'

  only prints out few directories,

  there are only two files changed in /etc/cups:

  /etc/cups/printers.conf
  /etc/cups/certs/0

  the printers.conf looks like this:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.6
# Written by cupsd on Thu May 17 08:22:52 2001
<DefaultPrinter epson740>
Info Epson Stylus Color 740 (360 dpi)
Location local
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
</Printer>
<Printer epson740_720>
Info Epson Stylus Color 740 (720 dpi)
Location local
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
</Printer>

  the certs directory looks like this:

jojda:/home/erik# ls -l /etc/cups/certs/
total 9
-r--r-----    1 root     lpadmin        32 May 17 02:04 0
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:23 12759
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:23 12772
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:36 12932
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:51 13692
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Jan 21 16:12 15339
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:58 15569
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:59 15582
-r--------    1 lp       sys            32 Apr 29 23:59 15596

  and now the most surprising part:

  I just tried xpp, it worked!

  and now lp works as well...
  samba default command 'lpr -r -Pepson740 rrr' work...

  what the hell happened???  any ideas anybody?

	erik