Re: Odd Networking problem

on Sun, May 13, 2001 at 04:33:12PM -0400, Sunny Dubey (dubeys@voyager.bxscience.edu) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a bunch of computers on my network here, and I've got one really odd
> problem.
>
> For some odd reason, its takes _forever_ for me to connect to another
> computer.  If I try to ssh from one to another, it will take me about a
> minute just to make the connection, and for some odd reason everything is
> fine afterwards. (this applies to just about any service, ftp, httpd, etc)
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?
> Thanks
>
> Sunny Dubey

Disable reverse DNS lookups (not sure how to do this) or straighten out
your local DNS server.

I recently got the kinks worked out of a locally-run DNS server (caching
for the world, authoritative for the LAN plus a few favorite ad-serving
sites).  Once I got that all ironed out, both internal (LAN-to-LAN) and
external lookups got a lot faster.