Mount is halfway broken

On my unstable box, "mount -a" segfaults.  It gives the following error (lots
of stuff snipped):

<1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address[...]
[...]
pmd entry cbb49000: 0000000000000000
... pmd not present!
[...]

I woke up this morning and everything was unmounted.  I actually found that
kind of odd :-)  Windows instincts somehow kicked in and I rebooted.  And mount
segfaulted giving me only the NFS mounts, /, /proc and /dev.  I have to
manually mount several partitions.  dmesg also segfaults, and I can't see if
anything else is going wrong as (since /var is on a separate partition) I have
no kernel log!  I've been messing with it for a couple hours now, I have:

1) Installed mount/util-linux from testing and stable and compiled from source
2) Downgraded libc6 to testing and back again, no change
3) Removed and tested each stick of RAM in the machine, and some add-on cards
4) Memtest came up with no errors on five runs
5) Tried different kernel versions (all 2.4.x, running 2.4.4-ac6)
6) strace mount -a doesn't show anything obvious (to me) except at the end
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Mounting each partition individually, as stated above, works for some reason.

Before I reinstall, as this is really difficult for me to troubleshoot, anybody
more experienced have any suggestions?  Nothing except mount and dmesg appear
to be having trouble.

The machines running stable are all yawning ;-)  I hope it's not bad hardware.
I be broke.
--
Andrew W. <dude@failsure.net> -- http://failsure.net/
http://home.cwru.edu/~agw4/ -- Debian GNU/Linux