Re: rsync source tree

MaD dUCK wrote:

> yo,
> before installing debian on some 35 clients here, i would like to
> mirror it locally so as to, you know, spare our backbone... the
> clients don't have cdrom's, so bootdisk/ftp is the installation medium
> of choice (anyway).
>
> question is: where's the rsync source i should plug in to to obtain
> it all? the debian website only gives the FTP sites...
>
> cheers,
>
> martin;              (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
>   \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; net@madduck
> --
> an avocado-tone refrigerator would look good on your resume.
>
> --

You should be able to figure out if a debian mirror supports rsync by
running:

rsync ftp.YOUR_PREFERED_COUNTRY_ABBREV_HERE.debian.org::

If the mirror supports rsync you will get a list of packages which can
then be rsync'ed by:

rsync ftp.YOUR_PREFERED_COUNTRY_ABBREV_HERE.debian.org::PACKAGE_NAME
/WHERE/TO/PUT/PACKAGE/LOCALLY

If you want to speed things up a bit by not getting stuff for other
architectures you can
build an exclude file to exclude the binaries for the architectures you
dont want.

I regularly mirror debian here by using

rsync -atzvrl --progress --exclude-from ../exclude-list-Debian
ftp.COUNTRY.debian.org::debian .

Using the attached exclude-list. This will mirror pretty much everything
for i386 but leave out arm,
alpha, hppa, hurd, hurd-i386, mips etc etc...

Happy hacking,

\Gandalf
Contents-alpha.gz
Contents-arm.gz