Re: trouble booting 2.4.4

    Michael> Note that it doesn't mention _how_ to modify your boot
    Michael> loader. I guess there are a lot of them, but lilo is
    Michael> pretty common...

I have sometimes felt it would be better, if there {lilo,grub} had
hooks that were invoked by kernel-image-* when installing/removing a
kernel.

eg: installing kernel-2.1.18 on a system would run:

/etc/kernel-image/install/* 2.2.18

while removing it would run

/etc/kernel-image/remove/* 2.2.18

This script would be responsible for checking that the configuration
remains valid, and could be customised/configured as required by local
site policy.

You could have separate files for each bootloader, eg
/etc/kernel-image/{install,remove}/lilo or
/etc/kernel-image/{install,remove}/grub

This way the boot loaders don't need to conflict (maybe you have a
strange setup with lilo on harddisk and grub on the other).

However, care needs to be taken not to try and install both lilo and
grub on the one harddisk, as only one can be active on the boot
sector! (I once found this out the hard way - I did an "apt-get
upgrade" about a week before going overseas, which upgraded lilo,
which asked me if I wanted to reinstall lilo, where I answered
yes. Unfortunately, I forgot that my lilo setup was broken, and I
didn't find out until the power failed when I was overseas...)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>