Re: difficulty with autofs mounting my home directory

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:39:03PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ferret
>
> autofs hides things that would be under your mount point
> 	ie using autofs to mount server:/home /home will
> 	hide all your /home/<stuff> on your local pc...
> 	..all you'd see is server:/home
>
> 	- thats good and bad...depending....

Actually it hides everything in the mount point's parent.. then mkdir()s
the mount point on attempted access. At least that's how it behaves.

> you probably need to do some symlinks to get the desired
> effect of what you're looking for ???
>
> Lets say you have these files....
>
> /etc/auto.master
> 	#
> 	# make sure /.autofs exists...
> 	#
> 	/.autofs   /etc/auto.misc --timeout 600
>
> /etc/auto.misc
> 	acct	acct_server:/path/acct
> 	music	music_server:/path/music
>
> make sure you can manually mount those remote fs before
> attempting it with automounters
>
> cd /share
> ln -s /.autofs/acct /share/acct
> ln -s /.autofs/music  /share/music
> 	=
> 	= stop and start autofs to load the changes
> 	=
>
> now you can access your stuff on any server with the above autofs
> config files
> 	ls -la /share/acct/*
> 	ls -la /share/music/*

Yup. That's exactly what I was doing.

> i think how you got into the directory would affect what shows
> for PS1.... whether ~ or hardpaths.... an option you need to define
> in .bashrc
> 	# ... stuff in .bashrc
> 	# either set it or unset it...
> 	#
> 	set hardpaths
>
> the other way to automount remote fs is to use amd.... :-)

I'll try these two..

> have fun
> alvin
> http://www.linux-Consulting.com/Amd_AutoFS/autofs-HOWTO.html

Hmmm. Connection timed out on me. I'll try later.