Re: netatalk setup gaflooey

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 09:07:00PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > trying to install netatalk for macintosh file serving capabilities, and the
> > setup script goes all fuxnored(tm). is this something i caused? or can
> > cure?
> >
> >       # apt-get install netatalk
> >       Setting up netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6) ...
> >       Starting AppleTalk Daemons (this will take a while):socket: Invalid argument
> >       socket: Invalid argument
> >       atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
> >        atalkd afpd papd.
>
> it means you don't have CrappleTalk compiled into your kernel. but the
> good news is you don't need it.  just rewrite the initscript to not
> start atalkd and use the following configuration for afpd:

Even though my atalkd starts fine I thought this sounded like a good
idea.

I did this by commenting out the following in /etc/init.d/netatalk.
/usr/sbin/atalkd
echo -n " atalkd"

> /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf:
> hostname   -tcp  -noddp -nosetpassword -nouservol -noguest

Is hostname arbitrary?
I noticed in the init script, afpd -n "$servername", where servername is
the short host name.
I also saw in the afpd.conf file that you could use - for the default
host name but this didn't work either.

output:

/etc/init.d/netatalk start
Starting AppleTalk Daemons (this will take a while):bind: Cannot assign
requested address
bind: Cannot assign requested address
 afpd papd.

# update-rc.d -f netatalk remove