Re: Exhausted by P3V4X+Maxtor harddisk.... looking for ata100 stuff... suggestion?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001, aphro@portal.aphroland.org wrote:
> newer VIA ide chipsets seem flaky with linux. i have
> a Epox MVP3G5(Super7) and it runs perfect. but once i upgraded
> to a p3 ...ide started getting whacked bad.  now the hd
> could be going too, but if i were you i'd go out and get
> a promise ide ata66 or ata100 controller for that machine
> and see if that helps. it has done wonders for both of my
> VIA based systems at home, and im about to install one at
> work once i break down and reboot(74 days and counting..
> sucks to lose that much uptime). the promise controllers
> are cheap .. US$30-40/each new for OEM parts.
> as for transfer rates i don't use hdparm to judge it
> i use bonnie or bonnie++. i think hdparm may just test
> the drive itself, which can be misleading once you
> start testing it at the filesystem level ..not that
> it matters to me though i want a reliable system, speed
> is ranked 3rd or 4th on my list.
>
> i use the ata100 card from promise btw(not the raid one
> though)

Hi,

Just in case your considering buying Promises' 'raid' controller, I
thought you might want to know that Promise is being relatively
disengenuous about this product.  They try to sell it as hardware
raid, but in reality all the raid code is implemented in their windows
drivers (so they're taxing your main CPU not offloaded onto silicon on
the controller).  Supposedly these are available for linux as well,
but why bother?  Buy the cheaper promise non-raid controllers and use
the much better native linux software raid code, if that's what you
want.  Though I have no personal experience, if you want IDE-hardware
raid, supposedly 3ware is the place to go (very linux friendly), and
I've always thought Mylex is the right SCSI raid solution (but now
we're really in a different price range and off-track from your
initial question).

Hope this adds something of use :)

Take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics