Re: Netgear FA311--compiling the module

> gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c natsemi.c

> In file included from /usr/include/linux/string.h:37,
>                  from natsemi.c:107:
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:46: parse error before `size_t'
> /usr/include/asm/string.h: In function `strncpy':
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:47: number of arguments doesn't match
> prototype /usr/include/linux/string.h:13: prototype declaration
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:61: `src' undeclared (first use in this
> function) /usr/include/asm/string.h:61: (Each undeclared identifier is
> reported only once
>
> It appears that either I'm missing some environment variables, or my
> gcc is incorrectly set up, but I'm kind of stumped. Any thoughts? TIA,
> Rob

looks like gcc is calling the wrong header files. check
the docs for that driver and/or join the mailing list for it
and see if you can figure out how to get it to use the
include files that are part of the kernel source and not
the ones part of libc6-dev. on most systems the kernel
source is in /usr/src/linux. this is a common problem
and is the source of many flamewars from time to time between
kernel hackers and libc hackers :) of course be sure
to have the headers/source installed. some drivers won't
install without doing a 'make dep' in the source tree
either.

nate