Re: Printer Failure

	Subject: Printer Failure
	Date: Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 08:34:15AM -0700

Quoting Steve Gran(gashuffer@flashcom.net):
> Hello all,
> I am new to the Linux world - I've only had a Linux box for about
> four months.  The box is a Deabian Woody distro running on an
> AMD K6-400, I use lpr to print and I have an HP 712C, which up
> until now ran fine.  Two weeks ago, I upgraded my kernel to
> v2.4.2 to take advantage of the AGP port feature, and at about
> the same time I did a apt-get upgrade.  Now my printer fails
> silently - no error messages, no printout.

You might check your kernel .config file.  I seem to remember that
there are more printer options then in the past.  I have in 2.4.4

grep -i parport /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y

grep -i printer /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_PRINTER=y

If you have these as =m then have you checked that the modules are
loaded.
> tunelp /dev/lp0 -r reports lp0 online, using IRQ -1 (hmmm. . .
> dmesg tells me that parport0 is using IRQ 7, which is what it
> should be using.)
in my lilo.conf i have
append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
The 'none' means don't use any IRQ.  The printer doesn't require it
and I sure can use it elsewhere.

> lpc> enable all shows that qeueing is enabled

And I take it that it doesn't show anything in the queue?

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.