Re: Hardware acceleration for Voodoo 3

Joerg Johannes wrote:

> Hello List
>
> After my upgrade to woody (and XFree4), I cannot run q3a and ut any
> more. Both of them crash X comletely (means: gdm restartsthe X server
> automatically after a few seconds). I do not know where to start
> searching for the reasons of this. According to a posting in the
> debian-x list, I only need the xserver-package and xlibsmesa3-package.
> Hmmm, I got these, it still does not work. So I tried out libglide3
> (which replaces xlibmesa3) --> Same problem. I'm sure I have all the
> modules I need (tdfx, tdfx-dri, glx for X, agpgart, 3dfx and tdfx for
> the kernel)
> So, has anyone this working who could help me, please?

You don't mention your kernel, you need to activate DRI under "Character
devices", and don't remember if is necessary, anyway, you should choose to
compile the "3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+" like a module.

You need the xlibmesa3 and libglide3 packages (i'm using Sid, so have the
xlibmesa3_4.0.2-13 and libglide3_2001.01.26-1 installed). You don't need anymore
the /dev/3dfx device (but you aren't forced to remove if you have both XFree
3.3.6 and XFree 4.x installed).

Check the X log (/var/log/XFree86.0.log), you will find the string "(II)
TDFX(0): direct rendering enabled" if the dri is working...

If quake3 don't work try with  "./q3demo +set r_gldriver /usr/lib/libGL.so" to
use the system libraries instead of the libraries provided with the game
(libMesaVoodooGL.so.3.2).

And remember, dri is cool, but it's a bit slower instead of only glide
implementation... =)

Adrea