Re: Simple Install Question

Quoting Kevin Stokes (list@pieskysoft.com):

>    I wanted to have three partitions on my D: drive for Linux.  One was
> going to be for the root only, which I alloted 65mb for.   Another 1150mb
> partition was for /usr, /var and everything else.  Lastly was another 65mb
> partition for swap.

If you can manage it, it would be a good idea to have four partitions
rather than three. Two (/ and swap) would be good too, but you don't
gain a lot with three.

To get root small (65MB is fine), you need to kick out /usr, /var,
/tmp and /home. With four, you can separate /usr and make it readonly.
Then the other three can share.

One way of sharing is, at the installation stage,
Initialise a linux partition for /
Initialise a linux partition for /usr
Initialise a linux partition for /foo where foo is any short name.

Now switch to VC2 (Alt-F2) and

cd /target/foo
mkdir /target/foo/var
mkdir /target/foo/tmp
mkdir /target/foo/home
cd /target
ln -s foo/var var
ln -s foo/tmp tmp
ln -s foo/home home

Now switch back to VC1 and Install OS Kernel and Modules.

But while you're getting started, you might want to stick with only two.
By the time you decide you need more partitions, you'll have the
experience to decide just what size you ought to make them (different
for everybody).

Cheers,