Re: Slow DNS Lookup (4TH POSTING)

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 16:19, Leonard Leblanc wrote:
> > Since they are listed as SOA for the reverse domain, you can't fix
> > it. You have to convince them to add the relevant entries.
>
> since getting them to change it is probably out of the question do
> you know of any documents that you can point me towards that will
> describe what kind of issues this will cause?

I don't know of any documentation that deals with that specific issue.
Just think of applications that would do reverse dns lookups and why,
and you'll get an idea of what problems might crop up.

> Everything has been working fine from outside the internal network.
> I get super fast speeds and never any waits.  just internal waits are
> pretty long (the first time in the morning anyway)

Do you have reverse dns entries in your named configuration?  If your
internal hosts are doing reverse queries to your server and they're
timing out, that could cause the delays you see.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.